Based on an article I saw in one of my favorite magazines, Bon Appétit, our Elevated PB&J packs way more flavor than its traditional counterpart. This is one of our favorite sandwiches when we’re camping, hiking, or otherwise need a quick lunch on the go.
To prepare these PB&J sandwiches ahead, keep the fruit separate and add it just before serving to avoid getting things soggy. It’s also equally delicious with peach jam and peach slices substituted for the strawberry.
I’ve listed how much of each ingredient we use to make 4 sandwiches, but you can adjust the amounts to suit your taste.
- 8 slices sturdy wheat bread
- 8 tablespoons creamy natural peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 8 strawberries, sliced and patted dry
- Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on one side of each bread slice.
- Top half of the bread slices with 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts each.
- Top the other half of the bread slices with 1 tablespoon jam and then one-quarter of the strawberries each.
- Carefully close up sandwiches.